Thursday, May 27, 2010

Every Day in May—EDM #25 and #26

EDM #26 Draw a vegetable. In Bali there is this vegetable called kangkung or water spinach or "KingKong". It is anything that is green and leafy and seems to be served with everything. There are slight differences depending on the region it is grown. I'm not wild about the kungkung from Lombok—too chewy. Anyway, I love this stuff. It is cheap delicious and when sautéed wIth bumbu Bali, tomatoes and coconut milk served over nasi puti (rice), it is to die for!

EDM #25 Draw a glass. As good as the fruit is Bali the wine is that horrible...and expensive! They have started making their own, but where I grew up in Northern California, they would pour this swill down the drain. Wine is so expensive that it is $30+ for a bottle of imported not so great wine. So, I have developed a taste for a local rose mixed with sparkling water. We have named this drink a "Sparkling Jeni".

10 comments:

E*phi said...

I'm a big fan of your everyday in May drawings! I especially love the colors in these two (I'm always for contrast and complementary and strong colors)!
And I want to eat KingKong too! I think I might make a huge green salad with some bananas or something and declare it KingKong. Easier than going to Bali - although maybe not as satisfying. ;)
Waaah, I love every single one of your sketches and can't decide which one I like best...

Sketchalina said...

Wow, this is absolutely gorgeous! So vibrant. Beautiful!

Shirley said...

I love learning about Bali from your blog. I hope that all of these wonderful paintings will someday be a published travel sketchbook.

Revelle Taillon said...

Love all your painting and sketching!

Marthann's Musings said...

Just love your work. It is so vibrant and full of life. I am always amazed at people who can draw really good hands. That eludes me. Love the " King Kong" plant. That is too funny. Your EDM's have been a joy to see

nanke's stuff said...

Lovely paintings, but what, pray tell, is "bumbu bali"? I think Shirley's idea about a travel sketchbook is right on! nancy

Unknown said...

Great paintings. I love them both.

Sandy said...

Interesting vegetable, and that glass of wine (in action) Is outstanding!!

Molly said...

I discovered your blog while looking at photo groups on Flickr. I absolutely love your artistic style - especially this wine glass! How I wish I had an ounce of creativity to be able to capture such every day moments in such memorable ways!

Timaree said...

I have Thai recipes and Indian recipes but no Balinese recipes. Do you know the recipe for this dish?

I love that painting of the wine glass. Very nice to draw it in your hand that way and the way it looks bubbly and not all one solid red makes it look delicious even if it isn't as tasty as you are used to. Yay for Napa Valley wines which took way too long to get known for the wines they work so hard to produce.