Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sunset ceremony at Pura Tanah Lot


Astika is a manku (priest) for the beautiful scared temple Tanah Lot on the west coast of Bali. The little temple sits a top an outcrop of rock in the surf that can only be accessed at low tide. It is supposedly guarded by sea snakes and thankfully I did not see any when we crossed through the water in our sarongs and flip-flops. Because we were Astika and his family we were allowed to have our ceremony at the top which is not open to the public.

Sketching the temple from the land while waiting for low tide. I had a pretty good audience while I did this little drawing.

Our friends Ben and Sarah after the ceremony which involves meditative prayer, holy water, incense, rice and offerings of flowers. After each prayer a flower is tossed to the alter and one goes in your hair.

Astika, his wife Made, an elder manku, Ben, Sarah and I after the ceremony. That's me second from the left.

Last light before we headed back down to cross through the surf to the mainland.

A very special day in Bali.

3 comments:

Anna Wolf said...

I just adore your sketches , especially of the temple and the little island!

Genine said...

Jjeenifer your sketches are beautiful. Are the ones of the temples on the island done with a brush pen? They are all great. The portriat of Astika especially

Gunawan Wibisono said...

beautiful works, I am going to visit Bali this month and I will bring with me my watercolor and my pen